Thursday, October 23

One Week until Madness!

That's write, NaNoWriMo begins in a week. This year is my first attempt at such literary insanity. For those who don't know, I am talking about National Novel Writing Month and it happens every November. 50,000 words in a month. Fifty-Thousand words in 30 days. That breaks down to 1700 words a day everyday. Nutso. Since March, I have written about 15k words on my current project. I need to more than triple that in one-tenth of the time. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to *finish* a book. A staggering percentage of people who want to write never do, or at least never take themselves seriously, because the idea of finishing a novel is preposterous to everyday life. Not to mention you aren't a literary genius so why try? Well, every literary genius out there has been quoted saying something like, "First drafts always suck." Well, Its true. So just frakkin write it. Get to The End. *Then* cut out half of it and rearrange the rest. Then you get to take the story where you really want it to go. At least that is what I am hoping.

That has been exactly my problem. I have never finished a book or a short story (unless it was due for class) because I let my self-critic talk my way out of it. Forget all that. Just keep pumping out words. Breakthroughs will happen. The point of NaNo is to get over that internal criticism stigma. Quantity over quality.

So, the next month will be spent primarily in coffee shops drawn into my laptop. It will be fun, like running 15 miles is fun. Painful and liberating all at once.


\m/

No comments: